Monday, June 6, 2016

School interviews

Dear Matthew

Last Monday your dad took a day off work and we attended school interviews with you at Mel Maria Catholic Primary School and Yidarra Catholic Primary School.

In preparation for these interviews I researched the schools, talked to parents with kids at the schools and formulated a list of questions I wanted to ask each of the principals.

I thought I was well prepared but I was still a bit nervous about being quizzed on my knowledge of Catholicism/information about the schools etc.  

However, I didn't anticipate the main issue - you not wanting even to enter the office of the first school and running down the street back towards the car, twice, in an attempt to escape whatever it was that had you fleeing. I think perhaps you thought the office resembled a doctors/dentist office and wanted to be free of any potential injection/mouth review.

In any event it was difficult to keep a conversation going when your toddler is sitting next to you screaming to leave. We survived but I'm pretty sure I had a mild panic attack following the interview because I was convinced we'd screwed it and you were unlikely to receive an offer. Truth be told, we received an offer in the post the next day and the school understood that in fact you were just acting as a typical two year old.

The second interview went a bit better later that day because they were prepared with an awesome toy in their reception and when things became a bit boring for you in the principal's office she suggested we go outside to the playground (you had a tantrum when we attempted to get you to leave the playground but your dad hung with you while I chatted with the principal so it was generally less traumatic).

We have to wait a few months to see if you'll get an offer to Yidarra but you have your offer for Mel Maria so looks like you're off to Catholic school (somewhere)! Your dad and I are really want you to attend a Catholic school so that you have the benefit of the amazing pastoral care that comes with it, which we think will help you thrive at school. Looking forward to you starting pre-kindy next year! Can't believe it's come by so quick!

Love you my crazy toddler,

Mum xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment