Monday, April 20, 2015

Family quilting weekend

Dear Matthew

I'm not sure if I've told you about 'The Joy of Quilting' previously, but it's our family quilting group with family members from all over the world which was formed in honour of your great grandmother (grandma's mum). Her name was Joy and after she passed away we all decided to create a family Christmas quilt that would be passed through the family, with a patch made by each member who would like to contribute. Once everyone had finished their patch for the family quilt we decided to keep the tradition going by making more patches for more quilts. Starting from the oldest member, we each chose a theme (eg. Home, under the sea, equality, cats and dogs, butterflies and flowers) and each of us makes a patch towards that person's themed quilt (I hope this is making sense!). 

Anyway! A couple of weekends ago Aunty Steph hosted us at her house in Yunderup for a quilting weekend. There was quite a few of us- Aunty Steph, Uncle Bruno, grandma, gramps, Lisa, Lily, Alex, Joseph, Leo, Joey, Kate, Dusty, Anna, Aunty Robyn and you and me. Lucky you got to play with the twins, Alex and Lily on Aunty Steph's blow up castle while us adults sewed like crazy. 

I managed to get 2.5 patches completed (I'm about two years behind so have a bit of catching up to do but I'll get there). As a group we finished/mostly finished 22 patches. Not bad really! But the best part was catching up with our family, just sitting next to each other and talking. And thinking how much grandma (your great-grandmother) would have loved it. 

I wish you had known Joy. She was the real matriarch of the Haynes family and I miss her. The last time I saw her was when I made a quick trip up to Port Hedland in 2011 for her 89th birthday (it was to be her last). I remember walking out of her room at the nursing home and she shouted 'I love you all!' to which we replied 'We love you too'. When we go to Port Hedland in August I'll show you where her spirit calls home. 

Love you Matty, 

Mum xxx









































No comments:

Post a Comment